Saturday 24 November 2007

The next logical plane


The XSNo.4 has been such a wonderful plane to use - it was only a matter of time (and a customers willingness) before I tried a full sized No.4 without a cap iron. This plane has a bed angle of 52.5 degrees and a matching shorter, rounded iron - to match the XSNo.4. The iron is high carbon steel, 3/16" thick and 2" wide.

I am quite excited to file the mouth and try it out - a few more coats of French polish and I should be good to go. Stay tuned...


Here is a detail shot of the amazing grain in the front bun and then the rear infill. Rosewood is a truly remarkable wood to work with, and I fully understand why it was so heavily harvested. When I am roughing out plane parts, I always try to find a section that has those amazing, telltale black lines.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Kierstead said...

That is looking fabulous! I look forward to seeing wispy shavings :)

25 November 2007 at 18:25  
Blogger Philly said...

Ahhhhhhhh....Nice!!!
Glad to see the cap iron discarded - single irons rule :)
Cheers
Philly

Member of "Woodworkers against Cap Irons", or WACI.(pronounced "wacky" ;) )

27 November 2007 at 02:39  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home