Saturday 4 July 2009

Birds-eye boxwood


In August of 2008, I had an opportunity to acquire a very rare piece of wood - some Birds-eye boxwood. Finding real English boxwood is tough enough - but to find a piece of birds-eye is kinda like finding Rosewood burl.

The above lump has been sitting in the shop for almost a year and it was time to cut into it. What was even more astonishing is that it appeared that the “eyes” went all the way to the pith instead of disappearing 1/4" under the surface. This was one amazing piece of wood!




A close-up of some of the “eyes”.



The first cut is always the scariest - and the most exciting. This piece did not disappoint - the eye were more intense 1/4" in.



This was a very irregular piece - and I did my best to save as much wood as I could while still finding the infill sets I was after. The above book-match was really striking - and provided me with a lot of information about how to proceed. And on top of the birds-eye - there was some curl.



After a few hours of flipping the pieces over, outlining parts, erasing parts, taking a small cut here and there - I had 3 sets roughed out. There are two sets for XSNo.4’s and a set for a SNo.4. There are still a few really good sized pieces left over for other small plane parts.



Here is a shot of the top of the rear infill for the SNo.4. This set is going in an all steel version - an SNo.4ss.

The toughest part now is going to be the waiting.

10 Comments:

Blogger tomausmichigan said...

Konrad

That boxwood is amazing! I didn't know it even existed.

I showed your site to a friend, 84 years old, in the trades his whole life, and he said: 'He must have hands of gold.'

Tom

5 July 2009 at 17:33  
Blogger Konrad said...

Thanks Tom,

It was a pretty amazing find. I did not think it existed either... until I started scraping off the moss and bark. The surface looked pretty weird and then I realized what it was.

Best wishes,
Konrad

5 July 2009 at 17:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Konrad,
Would you comment on grain alignment for the infill pieces? I am assuming that grain lines perpendicular to the sole would provide the greatest stability. I figure that my boxwoods will ready for harvesting in another 100 years. Thanks.

Steve

11 July 2009 at 21:53  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Steve,

Yes - grain lines perpendicular to the sole would be the most stable. That being said - very old, well seasoned Dalbergias do not really do anything. My experience has been grain direction is not as crucial when using these woods.

Cheers,
Konrad

12 July 2009 at 07:33  
Anonymous Jolyon Reynolds said...

hi Konrad,
first how are you and are you going to be at westonbirt again this year!!! second its amazing to see what you are doing with the boxwood I look forward to seeing a finished plane, and thirdly I still have a piece of the boxwood If you like I can take it to the show or send it over.
regards Jolyon Reynolds.

19 July 2009 at 12:45  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Jolyon,

Great to hear from you! We are all doing well over here - just finishded up Riley's football (soccer) tournement. They made it to the semi-finals.

I don't think I will be able to make Westonbirt this year - but there is another show in Sept that I am hoping to make it for. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the offer of the second piece - I would love to take you up on it! Once I have my plans for September sorted out we can decide then.

I trust all is well at your end?

Warmest wishes,
Konrad

19 July 2009 at 14:20  
Blogger tomausmichigan said...

Konrad

My neighbor just cut down a white oak and within two hours it had started checking. How did they dry that boxwood (or that african blackwood log you cut up earlier) without checks running all through the wood? Its a mystery to me.

Tom

24 July 2009 at 21:06  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Tom,

Did your neighbor coat the endgrain with something (old latex paint or endgrain sealer)?

The boxwood had be cut down some time ago - I suspect it was sitting around for at least a year before I got to it. England is not known for its dry climate - which was a real advantage in this case. It did check a bit when I returned home, but I covered the endgrain with some expired white glue and that really slowed it down.

I have no idea how the blackwood was prepared. It was a very old lump for sure - and I suspect it just sat somewhere for decades and dried very slowly.

Cheers,
Konrad

24 July 2009 at 22:33  
Blogger tomausmichigan said...

Konrad

Another wood question: Would Satinwood be stable and hard enough for an infill plane? It is gorgeous stuff.

16 August 2009 at 05:37  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Tom,

I am not sure about satinwood. There is a very fine toolmaker in the Boston area - Bob Baker - and I know he has used solid satinwood for a plow plane (or two). It certainly is stunning material for sure. Come to think of it - I do not recall ever seeing a piece large enough for an infill... guess I will have to start looking for one!

Best wishes,
Konrad

19 August 2009 at 21:03  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home